Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pizza Peppers

Last August, my husband and I met a friend, Greg, at a farmers market in Chesterton early one Saturday morning.  While we were walking around looking at the produce, we noticed some huge banana peppers on a table.  Greg told us about an appetizer he ate at a restaurant in Michigan that were made with large yellow peppers.. So I bought them and made a modification of what he described to me.

Pizza peppers

I bought 4,  8 inch long peppers
I washed them, cut off the tops, sliced them lengthwise  and de seaded them.

I placed the peppers on a foil lined baking sheet and stuffed the 8 halves with  about a pound pizza sausage
divided between them. I baked them in the oven at 350* for about a half an hour. The meat was cooked through and browned on top.

While the peppers baked, a sliced about a
quart of button mushrooms and sauteed them in coconut oil in a sauce pan.
I diced about
8 Roma plum tomatoes very small and added them to the pan.
Then I added
a pinch of salt and pepper
a tsp of  basil
a pinch of oregano
Let them simmer a bit until all the flavors blend. The Roma tomatoes are not juicy, so they do not create a  lot of water. They are just right for this.

When the peppers came out of the oven, I put two on each plate and spooned the tomato and mushroom mixture on top of  each of them.
I next sprinkled some shredded mozzarella cheese and a shake or two of Parmesan cheese on top of that...and stuck them back in the oven for a couple minutes until the cheese was melted.

We no longer miss pizza




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. O my!
    This sounds amazing! I found you through JM's conversation podcast! Thank you for this great recipe!
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete